Wheatgrass - The healing health drink
- By Ananthavalli Ananthan
Wheatgrass is simply the young grass of wheat plant, harvested early when its nutrients are at its peak. Chlorophyll holds all the power of sun and wheatgrass upholds 70% of chlorophyll. There are other nutrients that relay essential perks in various ways to the human body. About 200 ml of juice twice a day can do wonders without toxic effects if consumed on a regular basis.
Beyond being a crude chlorophyll, wheatgrass is enriched with vitamins A, B, C, E, and K, enzymes, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, sodium, sulphur, and 17 types of amino acids.
Let’s view the everlasting nutritional values and health benefits of wheatgrass.
- The chlorophyll in wheatgrass is often called the blood builder. Researchers have shown that chlorophyll and hemoglobin (a protein in blood that carries oxygen throughout the body) share remarkably similar structural composition. Added to it, the pH value of chlorophyll is a carbon copy of hemoglobin (pH 7.4), hence chlorophyll is absorbed in blood in no time. Moreover, wheatgrass serves as an alternative to people who have insufficient hemoglobin levels (anemia) to maintain red blood cell count.
- Chlorophyll rejuvenates the blood and tissues and escalates the function of heart maintaining normal blood pressure and preventing blocking of arteries; while the dietary fiber helps maintain normal blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels.
- Wheatgrass juice is an excellent laxative. When consumed, it is an elixir for day-to-day troubles like indigestion, flatulence, vomiting, acidity, ulcers, foul-smelling stools, removing worms. It can also be used as an enema to ease chronic constipation, bleeding piles, and inflammation of colon and rectum (ulcerative colitis).
- Wheatgrass holds the capability to dissolve the scars formed in the lungs due to breathing acid gases. It is also effective in common cold, asthma, bronchitis.
- Regular intake of wheatgrass is found to stabilise uric acid levels, thereby fixing insomnia, digestion trouble, swelling of body.
- Wheatgrass juice is found to be superior from other vegetable juices as a body cleanser, in that it neutralizes toxins and washes away drug deposits.
- The detoxifying effect also benefits the skin from getting rid of itching, pimples, boils, insect bites, and burns.
- Apart from detoxification, wheatgrass performs purification and regeneration of blood and other tissues as well. As a result, it is effective in healing skin problems, ceasing bacterial growth, and removing body odours and bad breath.
- Topical application of wheatgrass as an antibacterial and a natural healer.
- Chewing wheatgrass along with other foods or gargling with its juice prevents or cures tooth decay, sore throat, pyorrhoea (infection and loosening of tooth sockets).
- The chlorophyll in wheatgrass contains an enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) which degrades superoxide radicals in the body, further slowing down the aging process.
- Chlorophyll holds anti-inflammatory properties and has the capacity of reducing inflammation throughout the body.
- Topical application of wheatgrass is found to naturally reduce inflammation, pain and swelling in the osteoarthritic joints, thereby fastening the healing and increasing mobility over a short period of time.
- In people with closed fractures, applying wheatgrass immediately after suspecting a fracture or wound, can markedly reduce swelling, pain, bruising, and fasten the healing process.
- Wheatgrass juice taken along with water treated with magnets solves the problem of kidney stones and inflammation of urethra and kidneys.
- Drinking the juice or applying wheatgrass pulp on private parts is an excellent remedy for painful menstruation and sexual debility.
- Gulping a glass of wheatgrass juice is so complete; it relieves the cravings for overeating by reducing hunger.
- The enzymes and essential amino acids from wheatgrass form the basis for building of proteins. They also effectively strengthen immune system and defend against infections caused by bacteria and parasites.
- The enzymes and elements in wheatgrass kill cancer cells while chlorophyll is found to initiate the production of red and white blood cells in cancer patients without interfering in chemotherapy. Consuming wheatgrass as an additional therapy reduces skin toxicity caused by radiation treatment in cancer patients.
- Consumption of wheatgrass juice also increases the interval between blood transfusions in patients suffering from thalassemia (a disease causing abnormal formation of hemoglobin leading to destruction of red blood cells).