Thandai – A treat!
- By Team TDO
Thandai is a famous Holi recipe.
Half liter full-fat milk, half liter water, half cup powdered sugar, ten to twelve black peppercorns, Thandai powder, one fourth cup almonds, two tablespoon poppy seeds, two tablespoon fennel seeds, half tablespoon cardamom powder, 1 tablespoon dry melon or watermelon seeds, one fourth cup dried rose petals.
For garnishing : Few fine chopped almonds and pistachios, few saffron strands, eight to ten fresh rose petals.
Method of preparation :
- Mix and grind all ingredients of Thandai powder and keep aside.
- Boil milk and allow it to cool completely, and keep aside.
- Soak sugar in half of the water and keep aside.
- Soak Thandai powder in remaining water and grind the same.
- Place a cotton or muslin cloth over vessel and extract Thandai powder mixture slowly from the cloth. Press it to extract liquid. Keep pressing until the residue becomes dry.
- Add milk and sugar syrup into the extract and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, add black pepper powder, cardamom powder, and saffron and mix well.
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and rose petals and serve chilled.
Nutritional value per glass :
- Carbohydrate- 36.96g
- Protein- 3.50g
- Fats- 5.28g
- Iron- 2.44mg
- Vitamin A- 137.4IU
- Vitamin B1- 0.493mg
Health benefits :
- Fennel seeds of Thandai have antioxidant properties.
- Peppercorn contains minerals like manganese, zinc, calcium, iron and vitamin A.
- Watermelon seeds- source of energy, protein and iron.
- Rose petals are good for digestion problems.
- Almonds- Rich source of vitamin E and has antioxidant effect.
- It is good for brain and heart as they have cholesterol-regulating effects.
- Milk is the best source of calcium and protein.
- Cold milk acts as an antacid and has a cooling effect on the body.
Special Note : Thandai gives instant relief to the exhausted body and mind and provides the much required energy and freshness. It also helps to cope with problems related to acidity and constipation, also increases appetite and helps to combat heat.