Tasty and healthy lunch for teens
- By Team TDO
Does your child bring home an unfinished lunch box every day? Healthy eating habits are important for children’s development and growth. It also helps improve their concentration and learning abilities. Ask your children what they prefer in their lunch box, and then try to prepare the food in a healthy, yet tasty manner.
Here are some simple healthy ideas for lunch:
- Fruits: Fruit are tasty, they come in various varieties, and are rich in vitamins and minerals.Fruits can be made to look amazing if prepared in the form of fruit salad. Apple, grapes, mangoes and strawberries are loved by children.
- Vegetables : Try adding green vegetables to the menu. Raw veggies such as carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber or capsicum strips are popular as a snack or in a sandwich.
- Dairy food: Milk generally doesn’t tempt children, but other forms of milk can be combined with other food. Try reduced fat yogurt, reduced fat cheese or paneer. You will come across lot of tasty and healthy options. Dairy desserts and flavoured milks should be left out.
- Foods rich in starch: Starchy foods like bread roll, flat bread, fruit bread, crackers, rice, potatoes and pasta are healthy lunch options.
- Sandwiches: There are lot of options for fillings in sandwiches. Some of the best choices are reduced fat cheese or cheese spread, egg, sliced lean cold meats, baked beans or bean salad, grated carrot, lettuce or tomato.