Push that pedal
- By Team TDO
Cardio exercises are becoming popular day-by-day due to their numerous benefits. Cycling is one of them. It makes heart stronger, keeps body toned, helps losing weight healthily, increases blood supply and oxygen supply, and, above all, is easy.
- Fat and weight loss are the most important benefits as cycling burns calories.
- Cheap and pollution free.
- Improves overall health.
- Increases strength and endurance of leg muscles like quadriceps, glutei, hamstrings and calves.
- It is low impact exercise and takes the weight of the body and does not put pressure on joints.
- You don't need guidance and coaching. Most of us can already ride a bike - and as the saying goes, once learnt you never forget.
How many calories will you burn?
This depends on weight and exertion level. Cycling will help you lose weight by burning off between 75-670 extra calories in a half-hour session.
How will cycling improve health?
- Cycling is not only good for your health but for your heart as well. A good heart is the key to healthy life. It increases blood supply to the body as well as increases your heart rate. It reduces risk of heart diseases, diabetes and high blood pressure greatly.
- Cycling helps burn excess fat, resulting in weight loss.
- Cycling, just like other forms of exercises, releases endorphins which are known to promote pleasure and thus drives away the bad mood. It makes you feel refreshed.
- If you cycle regularly you will be less likely to get injuries such as fracture during a fall or an accident. According to research, cycling reduces the chances of hip fractures in older age.
- Leg strength improves significantly if you cycle regularly.
Whether alone or in a group, cycling is beneficial and enjoyable. With cycling, there can never be a (pe)dull moment.