5 health problems that spell trouble in a man’s paradise
- By Team TDO
The prostate gland is a walnut shaped gland located at the base of the urinary bladder and is responsible for the upkeep and functioning of the male reproductive system. Prostate troubles are the most common in males in the age 30-50. It could be prostatitis which is an inflammation to the gland or something like prostate cancer which causes millions of deaths in males worldwide every year.
How to avoid
- Regular check up as a part of routine examination and PSA (Prostate specific antigen test) for early detection of cancer and treatment.
- Exercising and vigorous sport can take care of another whopping 41% protection against prostate cancer. Even senior men engaging in exercise more than 3 times a week are able to ward off prostate related infections or urinary trouble. Biking, running, swimming are ideal exercises for any age group.
- Baked products, hydrogenated oil and trans-fatty foods are to be avoided. Have a healthy diet plan and include lots of cooked tomato in your diet at least twice a week.
- Having sex or masturbating regularly seems to be a good way of maintaining prostate health. A study carried out on 29,342 men showed that those who had a good frequency of orgasms are about 30 per cent less likely to develop prostate cancer. (Journal of the American Medical Association: 2004)
Depression kills more men all over the world than automobile accidents. The killer depression is a serious mental affliction causing certain physiological changes in the brain and is capable of disrupting life and relationships seriously. The most common symptoms of depression in males are:
- Inability to focus or concentrate
- Feeling worthless and lethargic
- Feeling blue or low all the time
- Shunning all company or becoming a social recluse
- Indulging in dangerous sexual behavior
- Trouble with finances or taking financial risks
- Relationship trouble
Depending on its severity depression can be treated with medication or counseling. The trouble is with early diagnosis. Most men overlook the fact that they are depressed and ignore it as a temporary condition. This just makes it worse and could develop in to something uncontrollable.
How to avoid
- Maintaining healthy and harmonious relationships are responsible for a man’s mental stability. So at the first hint of trouble with a relationship, take the help of a counselor.
- If you feel depressed for no particular reason then it is time to make a check list of the possible stressors in your life. Lack of sleep or chronic pain can also leave you chronically depressed.
- Do not self-medicate or resort to alcohol as these substances can make the underlying condition worse.
- Regular exercise or healthy mental occupation and hobbies can help focus energies towards fruitful pursuits, hence keeping depression at bay.
Most men are vulnerable at the heart! Heart Disease is an umbrella term for every condition affecting the heart such as blocked vessels, enlarged heart, irregular heartbeat, angina etc. Heart disease can affect the longevity in men and there are a number of factors affecting heart health. Some of them are:
- Smoking & alcohol
- High Cholesterol levels
The main symptoms of heart attack are a sudden stabbing pain in the chest or discomfort in the jaw and left shoulder.
Of course it is a bit of a challenge to take steps to avoid all the above factors but that’s what health strategies are all about. Regular healthy habits like exercise, right diet, appropriate sleep, and peace of mind can keep your heart pumping healthily.
Alcoholism has been granted the status of a full-fledged health condition and in men, it can cause a spate of health conditions. Most men take to alcohol to do away with the accumulating stress at work or to deal with loneliness. The reasons could be one or several the results could only be disastrous. Alcohol causes more road traffic incidents and more broken families than any natural or man-made disaster.
A person can be termed alcoholic when he drinks more than the recommended 2 drinks a day or feels an intense craving for alcohol.
Alcohol can cause:
- Liver cirrhosis
- Blocked heart valves
- Abdominal cancer
- Brain disorders
- Male impotency
- Cognitive disorders
If your drinking is creating trouble at work or at home then you can enroll on an AA (Alcoholic Anonymous Program) or seek the help of a doctor. Exercise like yoga can help reduce craving and early recovery from alcoholism.
Testicular cancer is a growing threat. Early detection is essential for treatment and recovery. In the past 40 years, the incidence of testicular cancer has doubled and is alarming enough to be included in this list of serious health condition in males.
Self examination is the key here. The symptoms are lumps on the testicles or any abnormal growths or sensitivity. Though bear in mind that every lump is not necessarily cancerous. Regular examination of the testicles thus becomes one more ritual for the male. At the first hint of a lump, it is better to get it examined by a doctor to avoid the possibility of this condition.