What to pack when the baby is about to arrive
- By Team TDO
You will never be fully prepared for that moment when you go into labour. So when your due date approaches, it is best that you keep your bags packed. Here’s what you should include:
For the labour
- Antenatal care notes and maternity notes.
- Clothes: A dressing gown which is of light and soft material.You'll also need one in the postnatal ward. Loose T-shirt or old night dress to wear in labour.
- Easy to wear and get off backless slippers
- Body lotion and lip balmto prevent drying of skin and lips.
- A digital camera to capture these amazing moments of life.
- Snacks and drinks for you while you are in labour. Some biscuits and fruits or juices to keep you going.
- Things such as books, magazines, or a tablet computer, radio to listen to songs which will help to reduce anxiety, relax and pass time.
- Hair pins and band to tie the hair.
- Extra pillows to make you more comfortable and to support the baby while breastfeeding.
- Clothes: Nursing bras. Take two or three. A going-home outfit. Loose comfortable clothes to wear in hospital and for the journey home. Old or cheap knickers, or disposable panties. In case of a caesarean, stretchy knickers would be comfortable to wear over your scar.
- Breast pads and maternity sanitary pads. Front-opening gowns are useful in the early days of breastfeeding.
- Toiletries and make up.
- Feminine wipes or clean soft cotton Sarees that can be cut into napkins and used to gently wipe and dispose.
- Address book or a list of phone numbers. You and your spouse will be able to use a mobile phone in parts of the hospital, but bring lots of change just in case, for all the calls you may want to make.
For the baby
- Soft cloth to wrap baby.
- Two or three sleep suits and vests.
- Keep a baby blanket in case it's chilly outside when you leave.
- Rubber under sheet
- Soft cloth or mop or napkins for mopping up any milk your baby brings up
- A pair of socks
- An outfit for the trip home.
- A baby cap made up of soft cloth to keep the baby warm
You are about to witness a miracle. Try to make it special and cherish it throughout your life. So, start preparing your bag from today. Everyday something new will pop up in your mind to add in your hospital bag. All the best for your pregnancy!