6 Health symptoms you should never ignore!
- By Dr. T Deepa Porkodi
At times, we tend to brush off minor health issues due to various reasons. Our body’s mechanism is such that it can heal itself. However, repeated appearance of symptoms indicates that the body isn’t able to cope and needs help. Never ignore such symptoms.
- Unexplained weight loss: Everybody wants to lose weight and get a toned body. There is an organized way to go about it with the right amount of exercises and diet. Weight loss in such case can be something to be joyous about. Unexplained weight loss, though, is a cause of serious concern. It may indicate serious underlying problems like diabetes, depression, liver disorders, tuberculosis, and immune-compromised state.
- Persistent fever: Fever is the body’s way of reacting to an infection. Fever should not last for more than 3 days at a stretch. If you have persistent high fever for more than 3 days, stop self-medication and visit a doctor immediately. You could be suffering from something serious as typhoid, tuberculosis, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, chikungunya or even malignant lymphomas.
- Shortness of breath: Everybody gets short of breath when suffering from a stuffy nose. However, severe breathlessness that does not go away even after lying down, signals the need for emergency medical care. The cause could be anything from asthma attack, pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the airways) or panic attacks.
- Unexplained bowel movements: Bowel movement patterns are highly individualistic. Any change from the routine is a cause for concern, though. Frequent urges to visit the loo, bloody stools or black colored stools with offensive odor may indicate severe bacterial or viral infections. They may also be signs of colon cancer or irritable bowel syndrome.
- Headache: An occasional headache is nothing to worry about. Recurrent severe headaches are a cause for concern. They could be occurring due to a brain infection or some tumor pressing into your brain.
- Toothache: Toothache is the most common misdiagnosis. Heart attacks can be a reason for toothache. Severe toothache with no relief whatsoever could mean that the pain has nothing to do with the tooth whatsoever. It may be a case of trigeminal nerve affection.
Brushing off common symptoms is the easy way out. But one needs to be respectful towards one’s body and pay heed to it, or else suffer from something serious.